The steps to create a value stream map of a process are as follows:
- Identify the product or service to be analyzed.
- Identify the steps, queues, delays, and information flows in the process to create a value stream map of the process.
- Create flow by identifying and eliminating all forms of waste and their sources. Waste includes delays, constraints, bottlenecks, and non-value-added activities.
- Create a value stream map of the new future state by eliminating the waste identified in the previous step. This will result in an efficient process that addresses customer needs.
- Develop a plan to move from the current state to the future state.
- Strive for perfection by continually reviewing the process to identify opportunities for further optimization.